Martyred Officer’s Wife To Join Indian Army As Tribute To Her Husband
- The wife of Major Prasad Mahadik, who was killed in a fire at his camp in Arunachal Pradesh, will follow into the footsteps of her late husband and join the Indian Army next year after completion of training.
- Gauri Mahadik (32), all set to join the Officers’ Training Academy (OTA) at Chennai, said instead of just mourning her husband’s death, she wanted to pay a befitting tribute to him by wearing his stars and uniform.
- Major Mahadik, who had joined the Army in 2012 and commissioned in the 7th Battalion of Bihar Regiment, died in the fire at his camp in Tawang near the Indo-China border in in December 2017.
- Post-completion of 49-week training at the OTA, Gauri Mahadik, a qualified company secretary and law graduate who recently topped the Service Selection Board (SSB) exam in the widow category, will be inducted into the Army as a Lieutenant by March 2020.
- “After my husband’s death, I was thinking what to do next…I thought I can not just sit and cry. So I decided that I should do something for him and make him proud.
- “I decided to follow his footsteps and with a determination that I will wear his stars and uniform, started preparing for SSB examination,” said Mahadik while talking to PTI from Virar, a distant suburb of Mumbai, over the phone.
- She said she could not succeed in the first attempt due to lack of preparation for the tough examination.
- “But in the next attempt, I prepared hard and decided that this time I not would only clear the exam, but will top it and now I am cleared the exam,” she said, adding while preparing she gave a lot of attention to physical fitness.
- She said now she will be going to the OTA in Chennai for training.
- “My 49-week training will start from April this year and after that I will become Lieutenant Gauri Prasad Mahadik. I think this would be the real tribute to my husband who is my real inspiration and hero also,” she said.
- Gauri Mahadik said her parents and in-laws supported her throughout the journey post her husband’s death.
- Gauri Mahadik married the Army officer in 2015 and after he sacrificed his life in the line of duty, she left her job at a law firm in Worli, Mumbai, and started preparations for the SSB exam.