Infantry Day Special: What Does The Infantry Actually Do All Day?
Hello Defence Lovers, The infantry is the main land combat force and backbone of the Army. It’s equally important in peacetime and combat. The Infantryman’s role is to be ready to defend our country in peacetime and to capture, destroy and repel enemy ground forces during combat. The Indian Army’s Central Command celebrated Infantry Day at Lucknow on Saturday. The day is observed in commemoration of the first victorious military action led by the Infantry in Jammu and Kashmir after Independence to drive out Pakistani invaders, a Central Command officer said.
Why Infantry Day?
- In October 1947, tribals and troops of the newly-formed Pakistani Army attacked the state of Jammu and Kashmir and had threatened Srinagar.
- On October 27, 1947, the valiant troops of the First Battalion, the Sikh Regiment, landed at the Srinagar airfield, initiating the liberation of the Valley, the official said.
- The day began with wreath laying ceremony at ‘Smritika’ war memorial by Lieutenant General Abhay Krishna, Army Commander, Central Command and other army officers.
- Krishna that the infantry has played a decisive role in our victories over Pakistan in 1965 and 1971.
- The infantry also undertakes numerous civic action projects for our citizens in remote and inaccessible parts of India.
What Does The Infantry Actually Do All Day?
- It’s starts at a practical time in the morning with good, well rounded PT tailored to each individual Soldier’s physical fitness level. Stretching is a priority and proper technique in all exercises is emphasized. That’s followed by a nutritious breakfast served by a friendly cook.
- You then get practical hands on training in the art of modern infantry tactics by qualified and motivated subject matter experts. The training is up to date and perfectly in line with our current global combat missions. Another healthy and delicious meal is followed by a motivating and morale lifting pep talk from your inspiring First Sergeant about important subjects that everyone is passionate about such as personal grooming and proper uniform wear.
- He’ll use proper grammar and his grasp of the intricacies and complexities of the English language will make you respect him even more. You’ll carry that morale boost into the afternoon where you’ll be allowed access to an Arms Room full of the finest and most well maintained weapons on Earth.
- You’ll spend the afternoon carefully and meticulously cleaning these weapons while joining your fellow Infantry brothers in a rousing debate and the time will fly by. The weapons will be spotless and you will take great pride in your work.
- When the day is over (promptly upon completion of your assigned tasks) you’ll race over to the gym to beat the lines of motivated Infantrymen who can’t wait to get in an extra round of PT. You’ll then return to your lavishly furnished apartment that the Army has so generously provided for you and rehydrate for the next day.