How To Join Indian Navy As A Sailor
Hello Defence Lovers, Indian Navy deals with ever changing advanced technologies and operates and maintains highly sophisticated ships, submarines and aircraft. The propulsion machinery, weapons, sensors and equipment on board these weapon platforms are operated and maintained by sailors, who are imparted with requisite training at various intervals during their service.
- As a Sailor, you will become part of a highly technical Organization.
- You will be required to serve in powerful, modern ships such as Aircraft Carriers, Guided Missile Destroyers and Frigates, Replenishment Ships and highly technical and fascinating submarines and aircraft
- Young aspirants for career in Indian Navy as an sailor can join in either :-
1. Executive Branch
2. Electrical Branch
3. Engineering Branch
4. Aviation Branch
5. Submarine Branch
Eligibility Criteria :
Age – 17-21 years (i.e. he should not be less than 17 or more than 21 years on the date of enrolment).
Nationality – Applicant should be a resident Indian. The Gorkhas, subjects of Nepal, are also eligible for applying for SSR recruitment.
Marital Status – Applicant should be an Unmarried male.
Educational Qualifications :
(1.) 1st condition . Applicant should have passed Class 12th(Intermediate) with Science stream with compulsory subjects of Physics and Mathematics and Optional subjects of Chemistry or Biology or Computers.
(2.) 2nd condition . Minimum qualification marks required for applying for a particular type of entry into Indian Navy may vary and the same would be promulgated in the advertisement in Newspapers and this website on as required basis.
Also Read, How To Join Indian Navy As A Pilot
Selection Procedure :
(1.) Written Exam – (Notification comes in the month of Dec/Jan and Jun/Jul)
(2.) Physical Test
- PFT will consist of 1.6 Km run to be completed in 7 minutes, 20 squats (Uthak Baithak) and 10 Push-ups. Candidates undergoing PFT will do so at their own risk.
- The results of the Written Test are generally declared on the same day.
- Those who qualify Written Test are permitted to undergo PFT and only those who qualify PFT undergo Medical Examination.
Also Read, How To Join Indian Navy As Medical Officer
(3.) Medical Test
- Entry level Medical standards are different for different entries. Medical examination will be conducted by authorised military doctors as per medical standards prescribed in current regulations applicable to sailors on entry.
- Candidates declared Temporary unfit during Medicals in the recruitment medical examination can avail specialist review from the specified Military Hospital within a maximum period of 21 days.
- No further review/ appeal is permissible. Those candidates who are declared Permanent Unfit during Medicals can appeal for specialist opinion in a Military Hospital on payment of Rs 40 by Military Receivable Order (MRO) in the Government Treasury within 21 days.
- Medical fitness certificate from other than that of the specialist opinion in the designated Military Hospital will NOT be considered.
- This whole process is generally completed on the same day but it may also take 3-4 days depending on the service requirements or due to unforeseen contingencies.
Also Read, Most Badass Weapons of Indian Navy
Exam Pattern :
- For both Artificer Apprentice and Senior Secondary Recruit entry written exam will comprise of four sections Science , Mathematics, English and General Knowledge.
- Duration of test is 60 minutes.
Work Environment :
- The work is divided amongst different teams that do different kinds of jobs.
- It could be operations of various equipment such as radars, sonars or communications or firing of weapons such as missiles, guns or rockets.
Training & Advancement :
- Candidates selected will undergo 22 weeks Basic Training at INS Chilka followed by Professional training in the allotted trade in various Naval Training Establishments.
- Branch/ Trade will be allocated as per the requirement of Service.
Education Opportunities :
- You may undergo various professional courses as per service requirement and certificates of equivalent qualifications from various Universities are being awarded on successful completion of courses.
- You will get “Graduation Equivalent Certificate” on retirement after completion of 15 years of service.