Facts About Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman That Will Beam Your Chest With Pride
Hello Defence Lovers, Indian Air Force Wing Commander Abhi Nandan Varthman, Hands tied, bloodied face , big grilled for his Pakistani captors but remarkably still calm and Composed . Today India has saluted the bravery of the Wing Commander Abhi Nandan. The valour, mettle and patriotism that Wing Commander Abhinandan showed in Pakistan is winning hearts all over the country. His confident and calm demeanour while on enemy soil has earned him a hero’s welcome back home. With this article lets know about some facts of Wing Commander Abhinandan that will beam your chest with Pride.
- Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman has been a fighter pilot for 16 years and is the son of a decorated and senior officer of the air force.
- Captured by Pakistani forces after his MiG-21 aircraft was shot down on 27th feb 2019, than Varthaman’s release was announced by Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan, as “a peace gesture”. (which actually not).
Who is IAF Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman
- Varthaman is an alumnus of the Khadakwasla-based National Defence Academy. He was first commissioned in 2004. He was an accomplished Sukhoi-30 fighter pilot before being assigned to the MiG-21 Bison squadron.
- He has 16 years of experience and his experience clearly seen in his recent mission in which he destroyed one PAF best fighter F16 with his old era Mig21 Bison.
- The 38-year-old Varthaman, who is married and has two children, hails from Tamil Nadu’s Tiruvannamalai district but completed his education in Delhi because his father was posted in the capital. His brother serves in Indian Air Force.
- His wife, Tanvi Marwah is also a retired IAF Squadron Leader with two children.
- His father, Air Marshal Simhakutty Varthaman, was a distinguished fighter pilot and played a significant role during the 1999 Kargil conflict, when he, as a Group Captain, was the chief operations officer (COO) at the Gwalior airbase, home to the Mirage-2000 fighters. A total of 31 Mirage aircraft took part in the conflict.
- In what can only be considered to be a cruel instance of irony, Abhinandan’s father had been an advisor for a Mani Ratnam film about an IAF Squadron Leader taken prisoner by Pakistan during the Kargil War.
Brave Son of a Brave Mother :
- As the entire country cheered the return of Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, one woman who stood tall amid all the uncertainty is Abhinandan’s mother Dr Shobha Varthaman. Having worked in Liberia, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Papua New Guinea, Haiti and Laos, Dr Shobha has healed the wounded in some of the worst conflict zones.
- The nation cheered her for raising a war hero and being a source of inspiration and strength. She herself has been part of many missions as a doctor.
‘India or Pakistan Incident?
- The report in the Pakistani daily said it was the local youth who first reached him before the army personnel.The pilot, who was equipped with a pistol, asked the youngsters whether it was India or Pakistan.
- “On this, one of them intelligently responded that it was India. The pilot, later identified as Wing Commander Abhi Nandan, shouted some slogans and asked which place exactly it was in India,” the report said. “To this, the same boy responded that it was Qilla’n. The pilot told them that his ‘back was broken’ and he needed water to drink.”
- At this moment, the IAF officer, son of a retired Air Marshal, shouted slogans and the youngsters responded to it by shouting slogans in favour of the Pakistan Army.“On this, Abhinandan shot a fire in the air while the boys picked up stones in their hands… the Indian pilot ran a distance of half a kilometre in backward direction while pointing his pistol towards the boys who were chasing him,” the report said, adding that he fired in air to scare them off.
- Then he jumped into a small pond where he took out some documents and maps from his pockets, some of which he tried to swallow and soaked the others in water, the daily reported. The boys, one of whom had a gun, asked him to drop his weapon and in the meanwhile one boy shot at his leg, the report said.
- “Finally, he came out and said he should not be killed. The boys got hold of him from both arms,” added the report. Videos taken after his capture show that he was beaten up by the locals and the wounds later seen on his face were a result of this.
- But As an Air warrior, Wg Cdr Abhinandan Varthaman served the nation by defending it with total disregard to his personal safety. And In real terms Wing Commander Abhinandan is a true soldier and we so proud of him.