Defence Ministry To Prepare Forces For Use Of Artificial Intelligence
- The Ministry of Defence has initiated the process of preparing Indian defence forces for use of Artificial Intelligence.
- To study the whole range of issues on the implications of Artificial Intelligence (AI) on the National security and defence needs, a multi-stakeholder task force on Strategic Implementation of Artificial Intelligence for National Security and Defence was constituted in February 2018.
- The task force was represented by members from the government, Defence Services, Academia, Industry Professionals, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs), National Cyber Security Coordinator (NCSC), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
- The task force has studied research and innovation in Artificial Intelligence and how it can be adopted in the defence sector.
- The DPSUs and ordnance factories have been asked to develop AI-enabled products.
Following are some of the projects:
- A project has been sanctioned to the Centre for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (CAIR), a DRDO based laboratory. The project is to develop Artificial Intelligence-based solutions to signal intelligence to enhance intelligence collation and analysis capabilities to the armed forces. The total cost of the project is Rs 73.9 crore.
- Another project named, Energy Harvesting Based Infrared Sensor Network for Automated Human Intrusion Detection (EYESIRa), has been sanctioned for Rs 1.8 crore.
- Artificial Intelligence-based tools would aid the defence forces constructively in areas of decision support, sensor data analysis, predictive maintenance, situational awareness, accurate data extraction, security etc.
- These tools will assist the defence personnel in better operations, maintenance and logistics support.