10 Things You Should Know About India’s Biggest Military Exercise Gagan Shakti 2018
Hello Defence Lovers, In a massive show of strength, the Indian Air Force (IAF) is conducting ‘Gagan Shakti 2018’, the biggest ever war combat game exercise on the Pakistan and China border. Here’s all you need to know about the exercise.
- Gagan Shakti is the biggest military exercise in decades undertaken by India to showcase its air dominance over the entire extended area of the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- To conduct this exercise, the IAF has mobilized more than 1,100 combat, transport and rotary wing (helicopter) aircrafts, apart from 300 officers and 1500 airmen. and for the first time Indian Air Force fielded all 8 LCA-Tejas MK1 fighter jets in the largest military exercise in three decades.
- The IAF is conducting all terrain operations – desert, high altitude, maritime scenarios and special operations- in real time with specific focus on key areas like aerial combat, air to surface combat, paratrooper assault and medical evacuation.
- The first phase of the exercise began on April 10, in which the focus was on the western border with Pakistan. In this phase, Su-30 and Jaguar fighter aircraft equipped with the potent Brahmos and Harpoon Anti-ship missiles addressed in-depth targets over the Western sea boards.
- Currently, phase two the combat mission is going on with the focus now shifting to the eastern corridor – near the China border in the north-eastern states.
- As per military protocol, both Pakistan and China have been kept in the loop about the exercise.
- The emphasis is now on addressing maritime targets in conjunction with the Indian Navy. The full repertoire of maritime assets is now operating from bases in the southern peninsula and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. This will go on until April 23.
- Extensive missions will be flown by the Su-30 and Jaguar in conjunction with the Indian Navy’s P-8i MR aircraft using long range weapons to refine and practice offensive and defensive tactics against maritime targets.
- An IAF spokesperson said such demonstrations in joint-coordinated operations with the Indian Navy adequately reinforce the IAF’s ability to dominate the Indian Ocean and “effectively address any misadventure by an adversary in our area of interest”.
- The two-week long exercise will involve almost the entire assets of the IAF, including its fighter squadrons, and will be used to assess war waging might of the force.
Also Watch, Gagan Shakti 2018 – An Insight Into Indian Air Force Exercise GaganShakti 2018 – Official Video