1 Dead In INS Visakhapatnam Fire; Inquiry On
- At least one person died after a Level 3 fire broke out on the second and the third deck of warship Visakhapatnam which is currently under construction in South Mumbai, Maharashtra. The deceased has been identified as a contract worker who succumbed possibly due to asphyxia and burn injuries.
- Eight fire-fighting engines, along with quick-response vehicle, were pressed into service to extinguish the blaze.
- The fire reportedly broke out at 5:44 pm on Friday on the main gate of the Mazagon Dock. Fire fighting operations are underway. The cause of the fire will be ascertained after a proper inquiry.
- “Under-construction warship ‘Visakhapatnam’ caught fire at 5.44 pm. The blaze erupted on the second deck of the ship,” said PS Rahangdale, the chief of city fire brigade.
- “Fire is confined to second and third deck of the warship. Fire-fighting operation is underway along with Dockyard fire-fighters. Smoke has spread in the warship. We suspect that one person is trapped inside,” Rahangdale said.
- The fire has been confined on the second and the third floor of the ship, according to news agency ANI.
- One of the persons is suspected to be trapped inside the warship. Vishakhapatnam is first of P15-B stealth destroyers.